Nearly any rust can be repaired.
This environment of the quarter is nearly Apartment lodgings with a mild curve.Benefit the 2-inch main as a fulcrum with the patche panel on top and your hands at either extremity roll the patch panel to build a bland curve. Habitat the patch in the quarter panel to research shape and fit.
1. Remove the front-quarter panel and entertain the divide to a comfortable daily grind heighth. The ongoing repair van has a rust-through on the lower piece of the front quarter panel equal persist the trundle.
2. Diagnose the borderline of the rust from the inside and elsewhere the panel. End a square globe that takes elsewhere all of the rust and 1/2" into beneficial, not-rusted metal. Generate a kraft paper mould of this nature. Hint the mannequin onto the 22-gauge steel. Incision the patch outside.A early Ford Mustang like now is over 40 elderliness fossil, and unlike nowadays's cars, the item was not dip-treated to prevent rust and corrosion. Most unrestored Mustangs are going To possess rust in distinct areas, the most casual spots activity the corners of the doors, the front quarter panel last the front spin and the rear quarter panel. Meager rust-throughs can be easily repaired without the committal to change the solid panel.
Carry doing this rolling agility until the patche fits the path correctly. It may catch a hardly any fluorescent taps with the metal working hammer to receive it right.
3. After the patch panel is contoured to match the quarter panel, trace the outline of the actual patch to the quarter panel. Cut out the rusted portion with a cut-off wheel just leaving the sharpie trace line. This should leave just the right amount of space to weld in the panel with a full thickness weld to fill the gap.
4. Sand all the paint from around the patch area with the sander. Place the patch in the hole and hold with the magnets or clips. Make the first weld at a single spot. Patch should be level with panel at this spot. Move to another spot 180 degrees from first weld, make sure the patch is level, and make another spot weld. Weld all four sides of the patch in this manner and remove the clips or magnets.
Continue spot welding around the patch about every 1 inch, making sure the patch is level before each weld. Use the dolly and hammer to bump the metal to align. Continue to spot weld about every inch in around the patch until all the seam is filled.
5. After completing all the welding, hammer weld the weld joint with the dolly and hammer to flatten out the weld bead, and relieve heat induced metal stress.
6. Grind the weld flat inside and out with 36-grit and then the 120-grit. Make sure there are not any pinholes that need to be re-welded. The patch can be bumped almost smooth with just the dolly and hammer and a body file.
Use plastic filler or lead in this area as a last resort. If using plastic filler, use a good-quality light filler such as Evercoat Z-grip. Sand the filler with 80-grit to shape and level. The thickness should be no more than 1/32 of an inch. After shaping and leveling, sand through the other grit papers to fully feather-edge the repair. Finish the sand with 320-grit paper and always use a sanding block.
7. Spray two coats of primer. After the primer is dry sand flat with 320-grit sand paper. The panel is now ready for final primer and paint.