The masterly cylinder sends brake fluid to the calipers to brick wall the vehivle.
The crack cylinder in a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am is compelled for holding and sending brake fluid to the calipers when the brake pedal is applied. A deficient adept cylinder Testament grounds the brakes to not advantage properly and Testament compulsion to be replaced as soon as viable. When this elbow grease is completed, the brakes Testament itch to be bled -- with the cooperate of an assistant -- to receive any air away of the lines.
Changing the Master Cylinder
1. Turn off the engine. Extended the hood to access the engine compartment. Ensure the valve is closed. Pull the hose off the valve.10. Refill the master cylinder.
Field the lines to the side.
3. Unbolt the two bolts at the back of the crackerjack cylinder with a socket wrench. These two bolts grasp the cylinder to the brake booster. Pull the skillful cylinder gone from the motorcar. Berth the adept cylinder in a empty pan to select all the brake fluid that Testament pour absent.
4. Habitat the just out masterly cylinder into the motorcar. Bolt it to the ability booster with a socket wrench.
5. Thread the brake lines onto the master cylinder with an sincere purpose wrench. Tighten the lines to ensure the brake fluid does not leak.
6. Twist the cap at the top counterclockwise to remove the cap. Pour DOT3 brake fluid until it is at the full mark on the side of the reservoir.
Bleeding the Brakes
7. Locate the valve at the top of the brake assembly behind the rear passenger side wheel. Place a small rubber hose over the valve. Turn the valve counterclockwise with an open end wrench half a turn. Fluid will pour out through the hose. Ensure the other end of the hose is in the drain pan to catch the fluid. Make sure the master cylinder cap is screwed on tight.
8. Instruct your assistant to begin the car engine and pump the brake pedal until fluid pours out. Close the valve when the fluid pouring out is clear in color. Repeat the steps again to ensure the system is properly drained of air.
9. Establish the skillful cylinder on the Chauffeur side at the back of the engine compartment.2. Unscrew the brake lines off the side of the masterly cylinder with the open-end wrench.
Pour in brake fluid to the full mark on the master cylinder. Do not let the master cylinder run dry. If the master cylinder runs dry, the process will have to be repeated.
11. Turn the car off once the brakes are bled.