The Ford Convoy was a front-wheel impel compact produced in North America from 1981 - 2003. The 1999 Convoy came morals with a 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine and a 5-speed transaxle on manually shifted vehicles. Clutch replacement is a routine procedure on high-mileage vehicles as clutch facings wear and vigour plate springs weaken. Access to the clutch is doable solitary after removing the transaxle, a disparate and involved procedure. Nevertheless, once the transaxle is gone, clutch plate Emigration and renewal is a straightforward work.
1. Disconnect the denying battery cable.
Clutch Pressure Plate Removal4. Bring about an alignment speck on the plate and the flywheel so they can be reassembled in their twin relative positions provided you device to reuse the identical force plate instead of replacing it.
2. Lift the vehicle and relieve it on jack stands.3. Remove the transaxle unit.
5. Mount the flywheel locking factor on the flywheel to prevent it from turning when loosening and tightening clutch bolts.
6. Cover the clutch alignment belongings ended the splined gap in the clutch disk and into the captain bearing in the flywheel.
7. Loosen the bolts securing the clutch energy plate to the flywheel gradually, one at a bout. Ensue a crisscross mould in loosening the bolts so that impulse is relieved evenly and the plate is not damaged.
8. Gaze the pressure plate and clutch disk for wear and damage. Always share the opportunity to replace at least the clutch disk if you have the transaxle removed.
Install The Clutch Plate
9. Clean the flywheel surface with an alcohol-based commercial cleaning product.
10. Place the pressure plate over the clutch disk and position them against the flywheel. If you are reusing the same pressure plate, line up the alignment marks you made on the flywheel during disassembly. Insert the clutch alignment tool to hold them in place.
11. Install the pressure plate-to-flywheel mounting bolts and tighten them gradually in a crisscross pattern. Torque the bolts to 12 to 24 ft. lbs.
12. Remove the clutch alignment tool. Remove the flywheel locking tool.
13. Reinstall the transaxle.