Apprentice to install brake shoes and pads, on the other hand always consult a known provided you flow into anxiety.
Brake shoes and pads are important components in vehicle brake systems. Approximately half of all van manufacturers even apply drum-style brakes for the rear wheels. Fixed friction causes shoes and pads to wear elsewhere, so they essential to be inspected and changed whenever they expo signs of Exorbitant wear. While overhaul front CD brakes is quite manageable, rear brake drums can be arduous without specialized tools fabricated specifically for them.
1. Loosen rear shove lug nuts, jack the motorcar up and accept off the tire. Duty on peerless one trundle at a interval. The brake drum should slide off quite easily after hitting the out border of the drum with a hammer to loosen it. Once the drum is off, you'll study the appropriate and left brake shoes that want to be removed on either side of the brake meeting, held in sync at the top by the come back spring. Using the spring Emigration item, grip off the send spring located ethical below the cylinder at the top of the circle. This is the beginning of three springs that must to be taken off the brake shoes.
2. Yield off the moment spring from the brake shoes, one that joins them well-adjusted at the backside, using the spring Emigration stuff. Then, using the retainer clip stuff, remove the retainer clips holding the shoes on the circle meeting. Twist the clip factor counterclockwise to loosen and remove the clips, located on Everyone brake shoe, halfway between the top and backside of the shoe. Deal in the retainer clips and springs aside for double time to employ on the latest brake shoes.
3. Pull the brake shoes outward from the axle and remove them from the trundle. Be sure the caliper assembly slides back and forth as it should. Analysis with a certified brake mechanic for added details.
4. Spray brake cleaner on all visible surfaces to eliminate caked-on brake dust. Employ nondrying silicone brake lube to the six points of contact false where the three sets of springs touch the shove meeting; the wear marks are plainly visible.
5. Encompass the pin from the emergency brake arm into the new right brake shoe. Attach the adjuster spring to both new shoes and pull them apart to fit around the axle. Screw in the retainer clips for both shoes, then use the spring removal tool to replace the spring at the bottom of the shoes and the return spring at the top.
6. Loosen the front lug nuts, jack up the car and finish taking off the front wheel. The disc and caliper assembly are visible once the tire has been removed. Check the rotor for unusual wear patterns and have it turned if necessary. This is a grinding process, similar to drum resurfacing, that restores the rotor to a serviceable condition, and can be performed several times before the rotor needs to be replaced. Consult a certified brake mechanic for more details.
7. Lift the brake piston caliper off remainder of the caliper assembly and inspect it for leaks. Set the brake piston caliper aside for now, being careful not to damage the pressure hose attached to it. The disc, or rotor, is visible through the caliper mechanism that remains on the wheel assembly. The brake pads are also visible, on either side of the rotor.
8. Remove the old brake pads, retaining the anti-rattle device for the new set of pads. The anti-rattle device is simply a backing frame that clips onto the pads. Use the hex wrench to unscrew the caliper mounting bolts. Caliper mounting bolts are usually located on the back of the caliper assembly, one at the top of the caliper mechanism and one on the bottom. Remove bolts counterclockwise. Consult your owner's manual for the proper size hex bolt.
9. Press the piston open on the brake piston caliper using the C-clamp, again being careful not to damage the pressure hose. Place one side of the C-clamp on the piston, using an old pad to protect it, and put the other side of the C-clamp outside the piston caliper, twisting the clamp until the piston is fully depressed.
10. Clip the anti-rattle hardware onto the new pads and install the pads in the caliper assembly, then replace the piston caliper over the pads. Apply a small amount of brake lube to each caliper mounting bolt to ensure that the caliper unit slides freely. Bolt the brake piston caliper onto the caliper assembly. The third and Ending spring, the brake adjuster, can double time be taken off the shoes and assign aside with the others. Disconnect the emergency brake from the good brake shoe by prying up on the phone holding the shoe to the emergency brake arm using a screwdriver. Analysis the brake drum against specifications in the owner's book and hog it resurfaced whether cold. A brake drum can be resurfaced distinct times before career replaced.