The 1996 Toyota Tacoma came equipped with seven contrary trim levels and either a 2.4-liter or a 3.4-liter engine. If you own a rear-wheel guide or four-wheel engine, changing the gasket in the Tacoma is relatively complementary. This is generally a occupation for a crack technician thanks to it requires the Emigration of most of the engine motorcar parts. On the other hand, provided you carry some participation with engine repair you can achieve it yourself in a rare hours.
1. Allow your Toyota Tacoma a uncommon hours to biting down. Disconnect the battery terminal ground cables. District a Disinfected urn under the radiator to grip the coolant when it drains. Whether the coolant is Disinfected, reuse the fluid.
2. Name and attach a tag to Everyone Element for identification. Disconnect the exhaust tube off of manifold. Lift the air cleaner meeting from the van, including the hoses. Blanket the carburettor with a Disinfected comprehend. Empty the Engine oil. Disconnect the heater hoses, accelerator cable and wires: bloodless alloy heater wire, temperature indicator, fuel decrease solenoid valve and baptize temperature gauge sender.
3. Disconnect the indefinite lines and hoses: charcoal canister, brake booster, leading fuel borderline, fuel reinstate contour, vacuum switching valve including the bracket. Remove the engine harness, distributor, Glimmer plugs, valve subsume and bracket for the endowment steering unit.
4. End the Eccentric person pulley bolt to centre the engine to the prerrogative until the piston sits at Top Dead Centre. Grip off the semi-circular plug, cam sprocket bolt and glide the distributor gear and the spacer from the cam. Conserve the chain connected to the sprocket.6. Place liquid sealer on the block's front corners and position the new head gasket. Align the gasket with dowel for correct positioning.
Undo the cylinder head bolt in sequence recommend by Toyota. Consult a Tacoma repair manual for the appropriate pattern. Allow for two or three passes for the bolts to come off. Lift the cylinder head and worn gasket. Sit the cylinder head on a worktable. Use a screwdriver if you have trouble lifting the gasket out of place. Clean and scrape the area well, mating surface.
Sit the sprocket on the vibration damper. Tie a collection of wire to the chain to hold it up away from the engine. Remove the bolt of the timing chain cover.5. Place the rocker arm assembly on top of the dowels. Position the mounting bolts of the cylinder head. Torque the bolts in three passes. The bolts appropriate tightness is 58 foot-pounds. Consult a Tacoma manual for the correct sequence and torque specification.
7. Replace the chain cover belt to 9 foot-pounds. Engine should be set to Top Dead Center. Place the sprocket on the camshaft dowel. Replace the distributor and cam thrust plate. Replace all other engine parts back on the Tacoma, including assemblies, lines, hoses, wires and cables. Check with a repair manual for the torques specifications for remainder of the bolts. Assure all hoses are snug in place and are not loose.
8. Reconnect the battery cables. Replace the motor oil and coolant. Turn on the engine to warm-up. Adjust timing and check fluid levels. Test the vehicle to guarantee proper operation. Look for any leaks.
9. Clean the cylinder head and mating surface of the gasket. Inspect the area for leaks, dents, crack or defects. Position the No.1 piston in Top Dead Center or TDC by turning the crankshaft. Install a new gasket and position the cylinder head. Use new mounting bolt on the cylinder head.