It's boating extent, and the family can't wait to receive on the drool. Problems with your boat can basis heartbreak and tears, largely for you. There is a Broad assortment of Mercruiser engines and models, so this is a Wide drive to troubleshooting most gasoline-powered models. The explanation to diagnosis is narrowing down the disagreement. If it turns over now, you may have ingested water due to a faulty exhaust water shutter.7. Engine noises may indicate serious problems caused by such things as loss of oil pressure, loose or broken timing chains or bearings.
Besides hovering an rpm setting could further be a damaged prop or demonstrate that the propeller hub is slipping. A stain or damaged boat backside can effect low rpm at filled throttle.
2. Remove the Glimmer arrestor and gun down the carburettor. Step the throttle lever back and forth--if there is a stream of petrol spraying in the carb, you can doable eliminate fuel as the hitch.
3. Remove the coil wire from the centre terminal of the distributor cap. Occupancy the wire with Glimmer plug pliers or other insulated mode, quick to a ground mark. Flash for Glimmer as you turn the starter briefly. Repeat this with some or all of the Glimmer plug wires. If you have spark during these tests, remove and inspect the spark plugs for fouling and cracks. Try starting the engine in the dark--it may reveal bad spark plug wires or other shorts.
4. Try a compression test. Disconnect the main wire from the coil. Remove a spark plug from the engine. Thread on the compression gauge, hose and proper spark plug hole adapter. Crank the engine for a few seconds. You should see 130 to 160 psi (pounds per square inch) per cylinder, depending on the engine model. Replace the spark plug, and repeat on each of the remaining cylinders.
5. Ethanol mixed in gasoline, now required in many areas, can bond to water and be a cause of bad gas. If the boat has been in storage, try a different source of fuel than the existing tank. An old gear oil quart bottle filled with gas and attached to the fuel pump with temporary hoses would suffice.
6. When the engine fails to turn over at all, electrical connections are usually at fault. Clean your battery terminals, put the gearshift in neutral and try bypassing the key switch--if room permits to jump the terminals at the starter solenoid. If the starter merely grunts, remove a few spark plugs from the engine and turn the starter key. Basically, an engine requires fuel, Glimmer and compression to dash.
Instructions1. Full-throttle engine rpm (revolutions per minute) running higher or lower than required by the engine nameplate may demonstrate an improperly sized propeller.
Rough running can be due to ignition or carburetor problems.