The popularity of the 1965 Mustang has never waned in that its introduction in Apr of 1964. Its popularity had a abundance to cook with its sporty bully looks, a Broad array of options and engines ranging from able V-8s to an economy-minded six cylinder. These are the duplicate reasons the 1965 Mustang is such a typical restoration candidate nowadays.
1. Evaluate the occasion of your Mustang and end what you appetite the foot conclusion of your restoration to be. A Rugged and rusty Mustang Testament grip a quota aggrandized money to restore than a straight, rust-free automobile. Effect you require a decent Diurnal Chauffeur or an award-winning grandstand play machine? Budget your finances and continuance for your restoration accordingly. Build a dossier of parts, materials and services needed.
2. Decide what type of restoration you wish for your Mustang. Complete a cosmetic restoration provided you carry a basically sound van that due needs emulsion, chrome or interior daily grind, and you craving to capitalization the machine as an Day-to-day Chauffeur. This will help immensely when the time comes to put your Mustang back together. Make a photo album of your progress as this will help to value the car by showing the level and quality of restoration that you have done.6. Refurbish the interior once the body and paintwork have been completed.
Go to restoration seminars if your Mustang club sponsors them. Talk to other pony car owners who have already been through the restoration process. Find out what repair and body shops they used, what parts vendors they ordered from and how they dealt with a particular restoration issue. Purchase a 1965 Ford Mustang shop manual. Even if you are not going to perform any of the restoration tasks yourself, familiarize yourself with every aspect of your Mustang and the processes involved. Knowledge is key to a successful restoration.
4. Get your Mustang mechanically sound. Depending on your car, this may require a complete engine rebuild or a simple tune-up. Make sure the suspension, brakes, differential and transmission are all up to snuff further. Garage your Mustang if you are going to be doing some of the restoration work yourself. Acquire a good quality mechanic's tool set.
5. Schedule your Mustang for the body shop. You can save a considerable amount of money if you do the disassembly of chrome trim, bumpers and lights yourself. Use a digital camera and take close-up pictures of each item before, during and after the disassembly. Perform a complete restoration on your Mustang whether you demand a present motorcar. A total restoration will be more expensive, as it usually entails completely disassembling the car, refurbishing or replacing parts as needed, and then reassembly.3. Join a native Mustang club and attend meetings.
Complete interior kits from the carpet to the headliner are available for Mustangs at quite reasonable cost. However, for a daily driver you may only need to replace the front seat upholstery and give remainder a good cleaning.
7. Do not skimp on the details when it comes time for reassembly. Take your time and get a helper so that you don't scratch or chip your expensive paintwork when reinstalling bumpers, chrome trim, lights and so forth. Don't forget to take pictures as you go for your album.