The 1998 Ford Expedition is a full-size SUV based on the Ford F150 pickup. It uses customary shocks all four corners. Shock absorbers charge or dampen the rebound of the suspension transaction. Over interval, shocks Testament wear outside. Worn shock absorbers can target an unsafe driving dispute and should be replaced.
1. Grounds the Expedition equable, paved surface and place the parking brake.
2. Loosen the lug nuts on both front wheels. Races are the Explorer with the Jack, and cooperate with Jack stands. Stop removing the lug nuts and remove the front wheels.
3. Allot where the upper in the front shock attaches to the frame bracket. You Testament clock two nuts. One on top of the bracket, and one below the bracket. Practice a wrench to ownership the lower devotee, while using another wrench to remove the top devotee. Remove the top washer and rubber insulator.
4. Move underneath the Explorer and locate where the shock absorber mounts to the lower control arm. Use a ratchet socket to remove the two nuts that hold the shock to the lower control arm. Remove the shock was over by drawing it down through the lower control arm. Repeat this procedure for the other shock absorber.
5. Install new washer and rubber insulator on the top of the shock absorber rod. Slide the shock absorber up through the lower control arm and into the upper frame bracket. Reinstall the nuts that hold the lower end of the shock to the lower control arm. Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheels. Raise the rear of the Expedition with a jack and support with jack stands. Finish removing lug nuts and rear wheels.8. Tighten the top nut to 40 foot-pounds.
6. Reinstall the wheels lug nuts. Raise the Expedition, remove the jack stands, and lower the Expedition to the ground. Finish tightening the lug nuts.
7. Use a torque wrench to tighten the nuts to 25 foot-pounds. Install a new rubber insulator and washer over the shock rod, on top of the frame bracket and install the nut. You will have to hold the bottom night with a wrench in an order to tighten the top nut.
Use a wrench and ratchet and socket to remove the upper shock absorber nut and bolt. Make note of which side of the shock absorber mount the bolt goes in through.
9. Remove the lower shock absorber mount nut and bolt. Note which direction the ball goes into the shock absorber mount. Pull the shock absorber out of its mounts and remove from the vehicle. Repeat this process for the other shock absorber.
10. Insert the upper end of the shock absorber into the upper mount. Install the net and bolt, but do not tighten yet. Insert the lower end of the shock absorber into the lower amount. Install the nut and bolt. Use a torque wrench to tighten the upper not to 25 foot-pounds, the lower nut to 50 foot-pounds.