In 1968, Toyota released the Corolla to the U.S. mart. The 1996 Corolla received its capacity from either a 100-horsepower, 1.6-liter engine or a 105-horsepower, 1.8-liter engine. A 50-50 blend of saturate and antifreeze, cooled by a radiator and fan, helped sincere the engines operating temperature. The radiator not isolated helps algid the antifreeze and saturate, on the other hand it further acts as a storage sphere for the combination. When the radiator fails, you must change it nowadays to prevent overheating and imaginable engine damage.
1. Loosen the balky battery cable, using a combination wrench, and pull the cable from the battery. Remove the radiator cap.
Installation11. Remove the four bolts securing the cooling fan to the radiator and pull the cooling fan from the radiator. Allot the cooling fan on the virgin radiator and tighten the bolts with a ratchet and socket.
Crawl under the radiator and set the petcock -- bleed plug -- and dwelling a void pan under the petcock. Remove the petcock by artisan and let on all of the coolant to bleed from the radiator. Reinstall and tighten the petcock.
4. Slide the void pan to the lower radiator hose and slide the hose clamp down the radiator hose, using slip-joint pliers. Pull the hose from the radiator and own the immature vastness of coolant to flow from the hose into the empty pan.
5. Locate the remove pan under the automatic transmission lines on the example of the radiator, provided your Corolla is equipped with an automatic transmission. Remove the transmission lines from the radiator using a wrinkle wrench. Wrap the free ends of the hoses with Disinfected, lint-free cloths to prevent debris from entering the lines.
6. Position the extract pan under the upper radiator hose and slide the hose clamp down the upper hose from the radiator, using slips-joint pliers. Pull the upper radiator hose from the radiator.
7. Remove the coolant overflow hose, by sliding the hose clamp down the hose, using slip-joint pliers, and pulling the hose from the radiator neck.
8. Remove the two upper radiator bracket-to-upper radiator benefit bolts, using a ratchet and socket. Pull the upper radiator brackets from the radiator.
9. Hint the cooling fan wire until you place its wiring harness. Frank the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the representation of its filler neck with 50-50 premixed ethylene glycol (budding) antifreeze.20. Dawning the engine and grant it to arrive operating temperature. Add coolant Everyone eternity the akin drops.
Elevate the front of the Corolla with a floor jack and slide jack stands under the subframe. Lower the vehicle onto the jack stands and remove the floor jack.3.
12. Transfer the rubber mounts from the backside of the decrepit radiator to the backside of the dissimilar radiator. These mounts pull off by artisan.
13. Allot the dewy radiator in the engine compartment, forging undeniable to seat the rubber mounts in the mounts on the lower radiator ease beam.
14. Place the upper radiator cornerstone brackets on top of the radiator and tighten their bolts to 9 foot-pounds, using a torque wrench and socket.
15. Reinstall the transmission lines, provided relevant, and tighten them with a column wrench.
16. Press the lower radiator hose onto the radiator and reposition the hose clamp to where the hose connects to the radiator, using slip-joint pliers. Repeat this course for the upper radiator hose and the coolant overflow hose.
17.Plug the wiring harness into the radiator fan. Reconnect the contradiction battery cable.
18. Hoist the Corolla off of the jack stands, using a floor jack, and lower the Toyota to the ground.
Filling and Checking Fluids
19. Disconnect the cooling fan wiring harness.10. Grab the top of the radiator and pull it and the cooling fan away as one meeting.
The constant drops as coolant circulates over the engine and displaces air from the step.
21. Alter the radiator cap and shut the engine down once the coolant consistent remains regular at the model of the filler neck for a generation. Avow the engine to cool and check the level in the coolant overflow tank. Add 50-50 premixed ethylene glycol (green) antifreeze until the level reaches "Max" on the overflow bottle. In total, the Corolla holds 1.4 to 1.6 gallons of 50-50 premixed antifreeze.
22. Pull the dipstick from transmission and wipe it off with a clean, lint-free cloth. Reinsert the dipstick and remove it. Check the oil level on the dipstick is between the two notches on the "Cool" section of the dipstick.
23. Insert a funnel into the dipstick tube and add Dexron II transmission fluid until the level reaches the "Cool" section of the dipstick, if needed. Reinsert the dipstick.