Using engine coolant is fundamental to assure the optimal performance of your engine, preserve engine temperature and prevent overheating. On the other hand, not all coolants are trumped-up Identical. To choose the correctly type of coolant for your van, you'll charge to comprehend a being or two approximately your motorcar engine's specifications and concede the type of coolant you've already been using.
4. Differentiate regular coolants from extended-life coolants by understanding that long-life coolant products don't have any added silicates or other chemical fortifiers. Instead, they use what is known as "organic-acid technology" (OAT) to supply protection that can last as long as 5 years or 150,000 miles. However, they are usually much more expensive, and they should not be mixed with regular coolants containing silicates, nitrates, phosphates or borates.
2. Touch to your owners' tome, and discover up on all sections that deliberate coolant and the cooling step. Here, you can gain particular data approximately the coolant inhibitor classifying your automobile needs to operate optimally. If not, you should contact an automotive professional or your car's manufacturer to memorize what you need to know about your engine specs.
3. Learn to diffenrentiate between the various types of coolant available on the market. Standard coolants are comprised of a blend of water and ethylene glycol in a one-to-one ratio. As a general rule, you should stick with name-brand coolants, such as EngineIce, ThermalTake and Prestone, because they provide the essential inhibitors required to protect the various metal elements in your engine from corrosion and rust.
1. Grasp how coolants profession to protect your vehivle. Basically, a coolant forces heat building up in your machine's engine to your vehivle's radiator, where your engine's airflow method expels the excess heat. Without coolant, heat gets trapped in your engine, which can front rank to deadpan damage.
5. Consult a mechanic when you take your car in for an oil change or a tune-up if you have specific questions about select the right type of coolant for your car. However, a good rule of thumb is to buy the best coolant you can afford, as your car won't suffer if you use a high-performance coolant that your engine doesn't necessarily need to perform well. Expect to pay about $15 to $25 for a high-performance coolant.
6. Flush all existing coolant out of your system before you put the new coolant into it. Mixing an inferior coolant with a superior one will not improve the grade of the lesser product.