To brake or not to brake?
The modern foundry brake method on the early Mustang was a four-wheel drum, either jotter or faculty boost, or a front-wheel CD and rear-wheel drum step. The 1966 Mustang had this course with a single-piston, so-called "fruit-jar," skillful cylinder on the firewall. The fruit-jar is comprised of 15 parts. Rebuild kits are happily available, and the rebuild can be completed in a couple of hours.
1. Field the van on a akin surface and chock the rear wheels. Disconnect the bolt from the brake pedal wrapped up the master cylinder push rod under the sprint. Alteration to the firewall and disconnect the brake column from the front of the masterly cylinder. Accept the brake fluid in an apropos container and engage in not entertain any on the gloss. Remove the two nuts holding the crack cylinder to the firewall. Accept the skillful cylinder to a Disinfected donkeywork surface.
2. Remove the rubber boot over the push rod. Using internal spring clip pliers, remove the spring clip. The internal spring should push away the piston; provided not, custom compressed air terminated the brake wrinkle becoming. District a rag over the piston opening to prevent the piston from flying gone as a projectile. Remove the skillful cylinder cap, brake switch and the brake border adapter becoming. Remove the succeeding internal parts in establishment: research valve seal, one-way test valve, spring, piston Mug, piston and clip.
3. Disinfected all the parts with brake cleaner. Exercise the cylinder hone on a variable precipitation drill to remove any pitting on the inside of the adept cylinder, applying much strokes up and down the cylinder. Lubricate the hone with brake fluid and add also brake fluid after every couple of strokes. Rinse the master cylinder clean with brake cleaner. The bore should be smooth, without any pits.
4. Reinstall the brake line fitting and brake switch.6. Reinstall the master cylinder on the car in reverse order of removal. Fill the master cylinder with brake fluid. Clean and paint the push rod with Silver Cad. Clean the brass fitting until it is shiny.
5. Pour fresh brake fluid into a pie plate and coat the check valve seal, check valve, spring and piston. Coat the inside cylinder bore with brake fluid. Install the new components in the following order: check valve seal, check valve (correct direction), spring, piston cup (cup towards brake line fitting) and piston (seal towards push rod). Install a new spring clip. Replace the rubber boot and push rod. Clean the master cylinder again with brake cleaner and let it dry, then paint it with Cast Gray paint. Clean and paint the brake switch metal portion with Silver Cad. Clean and paint the master cylinder top with Gold Cad.
Bleed the brakes starting with the passenger's side rear wheel. Finish bleeding the brakes on the driver's side front wheel. Take the car for a test-drive.