The Pontiac Grand Prix has an alternator that sends electrical happening to diverse devices in the vehicle while the engine is running. Most alternators make-believe nowadays build a voltage regulator that ensures the voltage commensurate remains fixed. You may desideratum to alter the alternator whether your battery keeps running down or your headlights pass into dimmer while driving.
1. Unfasten the fan for the actual battery terminal with a socket wrench and remove the battery wire from the terminal.6. Remove the bolts from the rear brace and mounting bolts for the alternator with a socket wrench. Remove the alternator assembly.
2. Stare at sequential generations of the Pontiac Grand Prix. Models specious from 1973 to 1977 may keep a 231 ci, 350 ci, 400 ci or 455 ci engine. Models built from 1978 to 1987 acquire 231 ci, 252 ci, 265 ci, 301 ci, 305 ci and 350 ci engines. Models manufactured from 1988 to 1996 can be equipped with a 2.3 L, 2.8 L, 3.1 L or 3.4 L engine.
3. Scrutinize the most new versions of the Pontiac Grand Prix. Models specious from 1997 to 2003 Testament keep a 3.1 L or 3.8 L engine. The endure period was produced from 2004 to 2008 and had a 3.8 L, 3.8 L supercharged or a 5.3 L engine.
4. Disconnect the bad battery cable and the trimming manage region with a socket wrench. Remove the engine Place shield whether you acquire a 5.3 L engine.
5. Unplug the electrical connectors from the alternator. Conclude which alternator your Pontiac Grand Prix Testament charge. You'll fancy to be confident the original alternator is compatible with your Grand Prix's engine. Models imaginary from 1962 to 1968 Testament admit a 389 cubic inch (ci), 400 ci, 421 ci or 428 ci engine. Models built from 1969 to 1972 may be equipped with a 400 ci, 428 ci or 455 ci engine.
7. Install the new alternator assembly and tighten the mounting bolts to 37 foot pounds with a torque wrench. Connect the electrical connectors and battery terminal wire to the alternator and torque the retaining nut to 15 foot pounds. Install the rear alternator brace and torque the bolts to 37 foot pounds. Install the drive belt and the engine sight shield for a 5.3 L engine. Connect the negative battery cable with a socket wrench.