Diagonal pliers/Wire cutters
Electrical sub-panels are used to expand the line breaker ability of an existing avail panel extremely as a load centre in areas of flying load concentrations i.e. an all electric scullery or woodworking shop. Sub-panels are wired the equivalent as the leading work panel with a couple of critical exception. Unlike in the main service panel, the impartial bar in a sub-panel can't be bonded over to (physically connected to) the transaction grounding bar or to the sub-panel enclosure. It doesn't matter which wire is connected to which lug.9. Route the white neutral wire and the bare grounding wire down to the "Neutral" and "Grounding" bars respectively.
Objective the spot where the sub-panel is to be located. Set the panel as hurried as practicable to the main service panel whether it's to be used to extend the breaker power of the leading overhaul panel or in the field of hovering load density provided it's to be used as a load centre panel.
2. Dominance the panel in accommodation against the wall using the aligned to fabricate positive the panel is flush and vertical before marking the holes for mounting. Drill the holes for the mounting hardware using the drill/Chauffeur and the fit magnitude drill bit.
3. Secure the sub-panel in distance using the befitting mounting hardware from the hardware utensils.
4. Remove the incorporate of the leading service panel and remove a metal "knockout" from the side of the leading supply panel box. A "knockout" is a solid metal disk that's secured in country at one or two points. To remove it, exercise a hammer and screwdriver to push it horizontal and then grasp it with the Lineman's pliers and centre it up and down until it snaps free of charge. Install a cable connector in the knockout's gap.
5. Remove a knockout from the top of the sub-panel box and install the other cable connector.
6. Route the sub-feeder cable from the leading service panel to the sub-panel. Intersect it continued Sufficiently so that once it's inserted in the leading work panel and sub-panel, the cables indivisible conductors Testament stretch the backside of the panel boxes. Involve the cable concluded the cable connectors and secure in compass by tightening the two screws on Everyone of the cable connectors snugly down against the cable's parka. Convenience caution when inserting the cable into the leading supply panel because parts of the service panel will still be "hot" even after you turn off the main service breaker.
7. Remove the outer jacket of the sub-feeder cable leaving ½ inch of the jacket intact where it exits the cable connector. Be careful to not damage the insulation on the individually insulated conductors. Any damage to the insulation on these conductors will require you to replace the sub-feeder cable run with a new run of cable.
8. Cut the red and black conductors in the sub-panel to the length necessary to arrive the Buss Bar lugs at the top of the panel. Cut them long enough so that they aren't under constant tension. Remove 1 inch of insulation from their ends and secure the stripped ends under the compression screws. Unlike the leading work panel, the sub-panel is not required To possess a leading disconnect breaker. The sub-panel can be a leading lug panel protected by a breaker installed in the leading servicing panel.
Strip their ends and secure them under the main compression screws on the neutral and grounding bars.
10. Install the 2-pole, 240-Volt circuit breaker in the main service panel. Depending on the type of panel that you are working with, this breaker may simply plug in or it may be secured to the panel's Buss Bars with screws. If it's screwed down to the Buss Bars, make sure that the main breaker is turned off before attempting to screw them down.
11. Connect the red conductor and black conductor to the brass screws on the new circuit breaker. Connect the neutral conductor and the grounding conductor to the panel's neutral and grounding bars.
12. Replace the service panel cover. With the new breaker in the off position, turn the main disconnect circuit breaker back on. You will leave the new breaker in the off position until all the branch circuits to be fed by the sub-panel are connected to the sub-panel.